Gorges du Verdon
At the foot of the Alps, in the heart of Provence, the Gorges du Verdon are the ideal setting for an unforgettable trip.
A campsite in the Gorges du Verdon
Discover the Gorges du Verdon from the campsite
A unique geographical area and geological treasures
The entrance to the Gorges is about 25 minutes from the campsite. The gorges are a canyon that the Verdon has dug between Castellane and the lake of Sainte-Croix. From the riverside, the gorges are between 250 and 700 metres high and 6 to 100 metres wide.
The gorges of the Verdon serve as a border between two French departments: the Var and the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence. They are divided into three parts :
- The pregorges (between Castellane and Ponts-de-Soleils) ;
- The gorges extending from Pont-de-Soleils to Imbut ;
- The canyon between Imbut and the Pont du Galetas.
The Gorges du Verdon is the largest canyon in Europe. This deep fault, dug for thousands of years by water coming from the Allos valley in the Alps, offers a majestic landscape. The Gorges du Verdon is home to an entire ecosystem now protected by the Parc Naturel Régional du Verdon.
The more sporty among you will be delighted.
If you are a sports and nature lover, our campsite near the Gorges du Verdon is made for you :
- Canoe kayak: Are you a canoe enthusiast? Don't hesitate, you can admire the vegetation, prehistoric sites and cliffs.
- Climbing: the most expert climbers will have a wide choice of wild and varied routes.
- Hiking: you will find many hiking trails (for all levels) that will allow you to discover the region and its landscapes.
- Horseback riding.
- Mountain bike rides: hire mountain bikes or assisted mountain bikes and discover the Gorges by bike.
- Rafting, canyoning, caving, paragliding and bungee jumping for thrill-seekers.
Le Clos de barbey campsite is on an exceptional site for unforgettable fun activities.
If you like hiking and natural areas, the Gorges du Verdon is the ideal setting for you. From the campsite, the paths are accessible by car from the right bank, on the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence side from Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, or from the left bank, on the Var side from the village of Aiguines. You will discover sumptuous landscapes where nature has kept all its strength and beauty. Open your eyes wide, in the shade of the Alps and its summits, the canyon has some surprises in store for you.
With 2500 climbing routes, the gorges spoil climbers of all levels. Do you prefer water sports? Don't worry, there is no shortage of them. Rafting, hydrospeed, canoeing or canyoning - the choice is yours. But perhaps you like thrills? Base jumping, paragliding or bungee jumping? You've come to the right place. Now land and contemplate as you fly over the Verdon in a hot-air balloon with Aeroprovence. Then go back in time by visiting the prehistory museum in Quinson, 35 minutes drive from the campsite.
You will find valuable information on the website of the Intercommunal Tourist Office of Aups.
Extend the adventure at the cinema thanks to the 3D film "Verdon Secret", projected on a giant screen at Gréoux Les Bains, about 45 minutes from the campsite. Open-air screenings are also scheduled during the summer period.